As small family farmers and wine producers, our goal is to live in harmony with the land.
We farm our land responsibly and make our wine responsibly—we do, however, leave the responsibility of enjoying the results up to you!
From the farming of our land, to the design of our winery, to our product packaging choices, we've been very conscious of preserving and enhancing nature's gifts. Here are some of the key points in our environmental plan:
- Farm without chemicals: build up the soils naturally through compost and mulch, while avoiding chemical herbicides and pesticides. We've been certified Biodynamic since 2009.
- Conserve and generate energy: in the winery, we utilize natural lighting and night-air cooling to reduce electricity consumption while we generate 85% of our energy through rooftop solar panels.
- Recycle waste: we recycle or reuse all bottles, cardboard, plastic, aluminum, paper, corks and glass. In fact, our customers can completely recycle our "products" by separating out the aluminum, cork, and glass in the wine bottles.
- Conserve and reuse water: Through drip irrigation and regulated deficit irrigation we minimize water usage, while the water we do use consists of winery wastewater (naturally-filtered through our constructed wetland) and rainwater captured in vernal ponds.
- Utilize earth-friendly packaging: All our boxes and protective packaging is made from 100% recycled paper or newspaper. We searched for bottles made from 100% recycled glass, but we had to settle for less.
Not only do we feel we have an environmental responsibility, but we see consumers are demanding sustainably-produced products. We celebrate this trend!
© Copyright 2004-2013 Montemaggiore, Inc. All rights reserved.