Grilled Sausage and Chicken with Fennel and Lemon
4 Meyer Lemons, each cut into 6 pieces, seeds discarded
2 tsp. sea salt
1 whole chicken cut into small stewing pieces
2 lbs mild fennel sausage
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
4 tsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 large fresh fennel bulbs with fronds
4T. Montemaggiore extra virgin olive oil
½ cup green olives
2 cups Montemaggiore 3Divas (or any dry white wine)
1 c. chicken broth
½ c. fresh Italian parsley, chopped
4 Tbl. grated Meyer lemon zest
- Place lemon pieces in a bowl and toss with sea salt. Add chicken, sausage, pepper, rosemary, and garlic, turn to coat, and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, clean and slice the fennel bulbs. Coarsely chop the fronds, and set aside.
- Brown chicken and sausage directly on grill or on stove in oven-proof pan with olive oil. Add fennel, lemons/etc, olives, wine, and broth to the pan.
- Cover, place pan back on the grill or in hot oven (425°F) to cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Add more wine as needed.
- Remove from grill or oven when sausage and chicken are done.
- Cut sausage into serving-sized pieces. Stir in parsley, fennel fronds, and lemon zest.
Ciolino Family Recipe