Wild Mushroom & Brie Crostini
¼ lb. each fresh crimini and oyster mushrooms, (cleaned, trimmed, and sliced with trimmings retained)
½ carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
½ yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
½ stick celery, cleaned and roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 sprig rosemary, chopped
5 sprigs parsley, chopped
10 black peppercorns
1 tsp minced shallots
4 oz triple-cream brie, such as Cowgirl Creamery's Mt. Tam
Montemaggiore extra virgin olive oil
salt, fresh ground pepper
For the Mushroom Stock:
- Put all mushroom trimmings in a pot. Add the carrot, onion, and celery (should be about as much as the trimmings, 3 cups). Add garlic, rosemary, parsley, and peppercorns then cover with water. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain out solids, retain ½ cup of liquid and save the rest for a future use.
For the Crostini:
- Slice baguette into ¼” thick pieces on an extreme bias and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake at 375°F approximately 7 minutes or until golden brown.
For the Mushrooms:
- Sauté mushrooms on high with 2 Tbl olive oil, salt and pepper until tender. Make sure all the liquid is evaporated.
- Add shallots and sauté until soft.
- Add ½ cup of mushroom stock to moisten and build flavor.
Slice the brie to the approximate size of each crostini. Place one piece of brie on each crostini and top with a tablespoon of mushrooms. The mushrooms and crostini can be prepared ahead of time, and then assembled with the cheese at the last minute. Optionally, bake at 350ºF for 5-6 minutes, until cheese melts.
Recipe created for Montemaggiore by Chef Paul Smith ©2008.